More and more electronic control is being used in automobiles and trucks in "drive by wire" implementations, replacing traditional mechanical systems which are highly susceptible to wear. For improved functionality and ease of control, the transmission shifter arm movement in certain trucks is monitored using reliable Reed Sensors.
When battery drain is a concern in automobiles, the magnetically actuated Reed Sensor is the perfect solution since they draw no power when the vehicle is off. The MK16 Reed Sensor, an over-molded hermetically sealed Reed Switch is one of several surface mount sensors which can be used in a gear shifter application...
Full application writeup: Gearshift Sensor
- Ability to activate and control two sensors with one magnet
- Ability to handle “under the hood” environment
- Ability to operate -40°C to 130°C
- Dynamically tested contacts
- Hermetically sealed
- Millions of switching operations
- No operating power required
- Reliable switching without wearing parts
- Rugged overmolded surface mount package